Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My Sister Is An Ironman!

My little (yet significantly taller and stronger!) sister just completed her first Ironman race this past weekend in New York City.  Her blog post is here, and I highly suggest you take the time to read it!

(My sister, Silver, during her bike portion of the Ironman!  photo credit)

She starting racing by 7am on Saturday morning, and my husband and I tracked her progress online all day.  Her swim time was fast... so fast, that we called my parents, who woke up before 4am to watch the entire event, to make sure the computer results were actually accurate.  Her swim time was only 3 minutes behind the man that won the entire race!

We then tracked her bike progress (they updated every few miles with her time) and when she was about halfway through her marathon (you know, because who doesn't like to cap a 2.4 mile swim and a 100+ mile bike ride with a marathon?) we hopped on the subway to head to the finish line in Manhattan.  Somehow, we managed to find my parents and my sister's boyfriend in the stands near the finish line and cheered for her as she crossed the finish line, over 13 hours after she began racing!

It was absolutely amazing to watch.  I cannot even begin to imagine how difficult this must have been for my sister.  It was a feat of strength, endurance, and willpower, and our whole family will forever be proud of her!

No comments:

Post a Comment